Swabian Cheese Noodles
Cheese noodles - Käsespätzle
- stand mixer
- Spaetzle Maker
- slotted spoon
- baking dish - casserole
- 500 g flour app. 2 cups
- 4 eggs
- 80 ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 g cheese
- 2 onions
- Add the flour and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and whisk them.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the eggs in it. Add the water (use slightly less water and add more as needed). Attach a dough hook to the stand mixer and "knead" the dough for 16-20 minutes, or until bubbles appear. After 15 minutes or less of beating, use a wooden spoon to scoop and pull the dough. If bubbles/holes appear, the dough is done.
- Bring 4 liter of water to boil, and at some salt, then reduce to a simmer. Use a Spaetzle Maker to bring the noodles into the simmering water and cook them until they float on the surface, about 2-3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the noodles to a colander.
- Start layering the noodles and the cheese in a casserole and put the in the oven for about 10 minutes at 400 till the cheese is completely melted.
- Meanwhile heat a pan, melt some butter and caramelize the onions, then put them on top of the cheese noodles with some garnish if you like.
Make Ahead: The Spaetzle can be stored in the fridge for at least a couple of days and then reheated. Melt some butter in a large skillet and toss the Spätzle in it to heat through. Therefore dump the noodles in a large bowl of ice water, after you transfer them to the colander and drain the noodles again.