This meatball soup is great to serve as whole meal or ahead for as starter. everyone will love it!
- 1 lb Iground meat chicken, pork, Turkey, or sausage
- 1/2 onion grated
- 1 onion peeled keep it whole
- 3 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1/3 cup white rice except brown, wild or basmati
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper divided by 2
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 1/3 cup half & half or sour-cream
- STOCK LIQUID:
- 1 liter chicken broth plus 1 liter water
- 1/4 cup OPTIONAL root veggies: Parsnip, kohlrabi, celery root, cauliflower, parsley root each
Mix the ground meat with egg, grated onion, parsley (2 Tbsp ), rice, salt & pepper together lightly, make small meatballs ( about walnut size ). Put them in a plate.
Add the oil to the pot, add the carrots, and fry them very lightly about 3 to 4 minutes, add the rest of root veggies (not the green peas and cauliflowers, if you are adding these to the soup). Add the whole onion, celery, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and the stock liquid. Bring the pot to the boil .
add the meatballs, lower the temperature and let it cook for 45 minutes.
Add the green peas and cauliflower now and cook for another 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning to your liking. Also, check the liquid level, make sure it is enough for 6 people (add more chicken broth or hot water if needed).
Turn off the heat, temper the cream or sour-cream (Add a 1/2 cup of soup to the cream, mix it well and add it back to the soup) add it to the pot, plus tbsp. of chopped parsley.
It's now ready to serve.