Things to do in Esslingen am Neckar – Germany
Esslingen am Neckar; beautiful medieval town
After 6 years in the USA, we are back in “The Länd”, and of course our first destination was Esslingen. For lunch we stopped at the Dulkhäusle, a restaurant with a wonderful view and delicious Swabian cuisine.
In Esslingen we walked along the Malie, to the Schelz tower for an ice cream and to the St. Diony’s town church. At the end we took a canoe trip on the Neckar at Esslingen experience.
At Christmas time there is usually, a medieval Christmas market, which is in my opinion one of the most beautiful markets and a must see. Many events take place throughout the year and there are great city tours. There is also a zoo – the Nymphaea on the Neckar Island.
What to see in Esslingen
- Kessler Sekt– the oldest Champagne manufacture in Germany
- Schelztor tower (houses a ice cream place in summer)
- Malie – Park with playground an cafe along the river
- Esslinger Burg / Dicker Turm Castle and city wall
- old town hall with chimes (daily at: 8 am, 12 am, 3 pm, 6 pm, 7.30 pm)
- Post Michels fontain
- St. Dionys city Church, Frauenkirche & Müster Paul
- historic old town
- Old Zimmerei – old carpentry; houses an ice cafe, an Italian and Japanese Restaurant
- Merkelsches Bad – art nouveau pool / sauna
- Nymphaea, zoo on Neckar island
- fun on the river – Esslingen erleben, or at climbing forrest Plochingen
- city tours for everyone
Esslingen am Neckar map to save
How to get the most out of the interactive map
Option 1: Click on the rectangle at the top right and save the complete Esslingen map with the highlights & tips in Google Maps. With a click on the star the map is saved as a favourite.
Option 2: Click on individual sights, then a drop-down menu opens on the left. You can use this to “open in Google Maps” the sight and save it there as a favorite.